Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The first bread


I forgot to ask Vince to feed the sourdough starter when I left for Cape Town (it is usually fed weekly). By the time we both returned it had been starved for four weeks. But it frothed right up (above) after a snack of King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour and a little drink of nice Brooklyn tap water.

I made bread. So much more fun in September than in the humidity of summer. The dough is different, and the hot oven not so much like hell.


Our new kitchen is small but actually has more work surface than the one in Harlem - allowing me to leave the loaves to rise on the counter.

I baked them after the crisp-skinned roast chicken had been take from the oven.


One we eat now, one we slice, bag and freeze. Excellent toast.

   ____________________________

                             Book an Autumn Walk 

7 comments:

  1. Mmmm. love the smell of bread baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please! Can you mail me one? :)

    Nice to see you settling in. It must be nice for you to have a door to the patio from the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice to have the door to the garden...

      Delete
  3. The bread is beautiful!
    Bernardine

    ReplyDelete
  4. How far back must I scroll for the recipe? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never written the recipe down. It's basically 500 gr starter, 500 gr flour, 250gr water. The method however, is lengthy. I refer people always to Stella Culinary, which got me going: http://stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/how-to-make-a-basic-loaf-of-sourdough-bread-video-recipe

      They also have a starter recipe or you can try King Arthur's website for a starter.

      Delete
  5. That is a gorgeous loaf! Bread making is something I haven't taken time to learn yet. It is on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.